The Editor tool is where teachers and other course authors create and manage the curriculum and settings that make up a course.
The Editor toolbar includes:
- The Tools menu, which you open with the wrench icon and includes:
- Course settings, which allows you to control the course's general setup, appearance, and Gradebook and scoring information.
- The Landing page editor, which allows you to create content to appear on the course's Activities screen.
- Course Links, which allows you to provide students with links to important course resources. Students can access these links from the Course Links button in the Course Home (Activities tool) toolbar.
- Edit objectives, which allows you to Import, Add, Edit, and/or Delete objectives.
- Manage Groupings, which allows you to create, edit, and delete group sets.
- Export 1EdTech (formerly IMS) package (if enabled), which allows you to export your course content using international learning content standards for publishing in another LMS using Publish Anywhere.
- Recycle Bin, which allows you to review and restore deleted content.
- Find Activity, which allows you to search by activity title or ID. When you find the activity you're looking for, click to jump to it.
Two inline help items appear within the Course settings that are not currently supported by screen readers:
- In the Gradebook tab next to the Formative Assessment header: Excuse activities for students who demonstrate objective mastery. Learn more.
- In the Gradebook tab next to the Remediation Assessment header: Encourage students to revisit relevant activities when they fail to demonstrate objective mastery. Learn more.
Editor tool tabs
The Editor tool is divided into six tabs:
- Use Syllabus to structure your course, author, content, and align it with objectives and badges.
- Use Projects to build robust, student-guided projects for project-based learning (PBL).
- Use Weights to define and manage grade weights for activities and categories.
- Use Activity List to review your course structure and preview activities.
- Use Scheduling to review your calendar, create and adjust due dates, and plan your course.
- Use Group Settings to manage existing groups.
Review each in more detail, below.
With the Objectives tab, you can:
- Filter the displayed objectives to search.
- Review the number of gradable and non-gradable activities are aligned with each displayed objective.
- Quickly identify objectives that aren't aligned with any activities by looking for the red dot in the bottom, left corner of objective's row. When objectives have been aligned with activities, the dot is colored to match your chosen theme.
- Click Edit to add and/or import objectives.
- Drag and drop objectives to folders and activities to align them.
With the Badges tab, you can:
- View domain badge details.
- Drag and drop badges to folders and activities to align them.
Note: To add and edit course badges, go to Course settings > Badges.
Folder and activity structure
With the center panel, you can:
- Set student visibility settings by toggling the eye (visibility) icon.
- Edit folders and activities by clicking the pencil (edit) icon.
- Open the side menu to Preview, reorder, Move, Duplicate, or Delete folders and activities. You can also reorder folders and activities by clicking and dragging them to the desired location.
- Add folders and activities to the course.
- Add Choice activities to folders that have them enabled.
With the Properties tab, you can select a folder or activity from the center panel, an objective from the Objectives tab, or a badge from the Badges tab and review its properties (Title, Type, metadata, visibility settings, Completion badges, Due dates, Objectives, etc). Click the photo (preview) icon to preview and the side menu to make edits.
The Resources tab allows you to manage course resources (i.e., create new folders; upload new resources; find, preview, download, and delete existing resources).
Two inline help items appear within the Syllabus tab that are not currently supported by screen readers:
- Next to the Name field in the badge editor: Use replacement variables to personalize badges. Learn more.
- Next to the Add to ... syllabus header: Need help deciding which activity type to choose? Learn more.
- Next to the Add POST parameter option in the Content section of the Activity tab; this only occurs with Website activity types: You can use replacement variables in the website URL or in POST-parameter values to pass user-, course-, or domain-specific data to external websites. Learn more.
With the Projects tab, you can:
- Toggle between a list and tiled view of existing projects.
- Create new projects, for which you provide a Title, Start date, and End date.
- Add content from the Digital Library.
- Convert existing folders into projects, for which you provide the folder, Start date, and End date.
- Sort displayed projects by Title, Start date, and End date by clicking the appropriate column headers.
- Click on displayed project data to edit it with the Properties/Resources panel.
Grading Weights define how much impact that activity’s grade has on the final grade, relative to the other gradable activities in the same category and/or course. Learn more.
Activity List tab
With the Activity List tab, you can:
- Filtered displayed folders and activities by Title, Type, Location, and/or Gradable activity.
- Note: Choice activities appears as a location; however, some choice activities are attached to a specific folder, while others are located in the general Choice activities folder. If they are attached to a specific folder, it is included in the location.
- Select multiple folders and/or activities and:
- Use Delete Selected in the toolbar.
- Use Bulk Edit in the toolbar to do any of the following for all selected activities (available options vary based on the activities selected):
- Specify a group you want to edit in the Apply these changes to dropdown
- Change visibility
- Change location
- Remove due date
- Change late-submission policy
- Change passing score
- Change assessment password
- Change assessment attempt limit
- Change Weight in Category
- Change Grading Category
- Change Grading Period
- Change Activity theme
- Change Assessment password
- Change Number of attempts allowed
- Select folders and activities to view their Properties.
- Use the side menu to Edit, Preview, and Delete folders and activities.
The Scheduling tab gives you one screen where you create and manage activity Due dates, Visibility dates, and Grade release dates for all of the activities in your course. These dates are also created and managed within each individual activity's editor.
Group Settings tab
The Group Settings tab allows you to review and modify group-specific settings.