Use Buzz’s Manage Groups feature to remove the guesswork from directing group work
How do groups work in Buzz?
A teacher can group the same class in various ways to meet different needs. Each different grouping is called a Group Set.
You can use groups to connect students according to performance, send group messages, assign group activities, create quick group intervention tasks, assign group grades, award group badges, and filter your list views with them.
To access, create, edit, and manage groups, open the Manage Groups screen:
The Manage Groups screen
With the Manage Groups screen, you can:
- Select an existing Group Set from the dropdown.
- Clone or Delete the selected Group Set from the toolbar.
- Create a New Group Set from the toolbar. This automatically opens the Generate Groups window:
- Edit the Group set name for the selected Group Set.
- Choose to limit each person to membership in one group.
- Choose how to display student performance (this selection impacts some of the Group Assignment options in the Generate Groups screen):
- Select Show course % to use overall performance.
- Select Show activity % and choose the desired course in the dropdown that appears next to it to use performance on a specific activity.
- Add Groups to the Group Set.
- Clear All students from the assigned groups.
- Automatically Generate Groups (Step 5).
- Move students between groups by clicking the cell that aligns with the student and the group you want to place them in.
- Edit group names by clicking the pencil icon (edit), and delete groups by clicking the garbage can icon (delete).
- Save all changes.
Automatically Generate Groups
Use Buzz to automatically divide students into groups:
- Open the People tool from the Main Menu and select the desired course.
- Click Groups in the toolbar to open the Manage Groups screen.
- If you want to generate groups based on student performance, choose:
- Show course % to use overall performance.
- Show activity % and select the desired course in the dropdown that appears next to it to use performance on a specific activity.
- Click Generate Groups.
- Enter a Group prefix; each group that is generated uses this prefix and a number to indicate that they’re part of this Group Set.
- Choose your Group creation method.
- If you choose Fixed number of groups, you need to specify the number of groups.
- If you choose Target number of students per group, you need to specify the number of students per group.
- Choose the desired Group assignment method from the dropdown list:
- Random assignment.
- Round Robin assigns the first student in the list to the first group, the second student to the second group, and so on. If there are only three groups, the fourth student is assigned to the first group, the fifth student to the second, and so on.
- Alphabetical by first name.
- Homogeneous by performance groups students with those who have the most similar scores (see Step 3 for more information).
- Heterogeneous by performance evenly distributes performance, so groups end up with a balanced range of scores (see Step 3 for more information).
- Heterogeneous by performance - Top/Bottom groups the highest-scoring students with the lowest-scoring, then the next highest with the next lowest, and so on (see Step 3 for more information).
- Heterogeneous by performance - 1st Q/3rd Q; 2nd Q/4th Q groups highest-scoring students with next-to-lowest-scoring students, then next-to-highest-scoring students with the next lowest-scoring, and so on (see Step 3 for more information).
- Click Generate.
- You can also create and manage groups when setting up group assignments in the Curriculum Map or the Editor tool if it's enabled.