This article outlines how educators and distributors can import Publish Anywhere content they receive from their publisher partners.
The process of importing Publish Anywhere courses varies between LMSs. They all require the cartridge, the LTI tool/domain name, and the key and secret your publisher provides. Search documentation about the other LMSs for articles about uploading "LTI" and "thin cartridge" content.
There are two main steps to importing content with Brightspace:
1. Set up Publish Anywhere as a tool provider
Follow these instructions using the information provided to use by your publisher in the following steps:
- In Step 4: Use the provided Domain/URL as the Launch Point.
- In Step 7: Use the provided Secret.
- In Step 8: Check the Use custom tool consumer information instead of default box, and use the provided Key.
2. Import course package
- Create a course that you want to import the content into.
- Open your Table of contents and click Import course and choose Import course package.
- Click Upload and select the Publish Anywhere course cartridge you created or were provided (you are also able to drag and drop the file in the upload field).
- When the package is imported, click View content to see the course.
The content now appears in the selected course.
- Open Courses > Settings > Course Details and click Import content into this course.
- Select the Publish Anywhere course cartridge you created or were provided.
- Select All content in the Content section.
- Leave the Default Question bank and Options sections blank.
- Click Import.
- Open Courses > Settings > Apps and select Edit from the Publish Anywhere dropdown.
- Note: You may need to select View App Configurations next to External Apps to access this list.
- Canvas automatically populates the Domain field with the LTI Tool Name (domain name) your publisher provided. You just need to provide the Consumer Key and Shared Secret.
- We recommend you choose Public in the Privacy dropdown, so the names of the students in your gradebook will automatically transfer to the Publish Anywhere grading pages. Otherwise, the names are replaced with Canvas-generated number identifiers.
- Note: The Launch URL field appears to be a required field, but it is not.
There are three main steps for importing with Schoology:
1. Import to resources
- Open Resources from your toolbar.
- Open the dropdown menu next to My Resources, and select Import.
- Select Common Cartridge in the Import from list.
- Choose whether you want to create a New collection or add this to an Existing collection. Provide a Collection title if you choose to create a new one.
- Click Next.
- Click Attach File and upload the Publish Anywhere course cartridge you created or were provided.
- Click Next.
The new collection, Us History - PA import, now appears in the My resources list.
2. Import from resources to a course
Once you've uploaded the cartridge into My Resources, you import it into the desired course.
- Open Courses from the toolbar.
- Select the course you want to import the content into.
- Open the Add Materials dropdown, and select Import from Resources.
- Choose the collection you just created.
- Check the boxes next to the content you want to import.
- Click Import.
- When you see this warning, select Import. In the next section you will learn how to add Publish Anywhere as an External tool provider.
3. Add Publish Anywhere as an external tool provider
- Once you've imported the content into your course, select External Tool Providers in the Course Options dropdown.
- Click Add External Tool
- Tool Name as Publish Anywhere (you can use whatever is best for your integration).
- Consumer Key and Shared Sect, both of which are provided to you by your publisher.
- Set your Privacy selection. Publish Anywhere will work with any of the four options:
- Do not send any user information
- Only send Name of user who launches the tool
- Only send Email/Username of user who launches the tool
- Send Name and Email/Username of user who launches the tool
- Configuration Type: Manual
- Match by: Domain
- Provide the Domain/URL that was provided to you.
- Click Submit.
Publish Anywhere now appears as a verified External Tool Provider.
There are three main steps for importing with Moodle:
Import the course
To import the course:
- Open Site administration > Courses > Restore course.
- Click Choose a file, and select the Publish Anywhere course cartridge you created or were provided (you are also able to drag and drop the file in the upload field).
- Click Restore.
- When you are shown the Backup details, click Continue.
- Complete the remaining steps to choose where you want the course and other settings.
Add Publish Anywhere as an external tool provider
To add Publish Anywhere as an external tool provider:
- Open Site administration > Plugins > External tool.
- Click Manage tools.
- Select Configure a tool manually.
- Provide the Tool name as Publish Anywhere (you can use whatever is best for your integration).
- In Tool URL provide the Domain/URL that was given to you.
- Use the Consumer key and Shared secret you were given.
- Complete any other configurations you want (Moodle's documentation recommends leaving default settings when in doubt), and Save changes.