The Dawn Learner Experience is simple. It is designed to provide engaging video-centric, mastery-based courses and other catalog entries on most major devices, so you can easily start a lesson on your smartphone and finish on your laptop.
Note: Many of your enrollments in Dawn may be traditional courses, but Dawn enables many types of enrollments (e.g., coaching portals, group project spaces, live event scheduling, etc), so we use the term catalog entry to include all possible enrollments.
Learner Dashboard and UI
The Dawn learner UI includes:
- Browse and search the Catalog: Click the search icon to search, filter, and browse the Catalog and preview available catalog entries that you can purchase and enroll in.
- My feed: Open the My feed tool to review and participate in conversations you're following. Your Feed opens from anywhere in the Dawn.
- User Menu: Open to learn about the publisher, edit your Bio, change your Account settings, and logout.
- My enrollments: You land on this screen when you sign in and when you click Home in the toolbar. It lists the catalog entries you're already enrolled in and your progress in those entries. It also lists your completed entries where you can review certifications.
- My coach feed: From here, you can post questions to coaches and review previous interactions you've had with coaches. This looks and works similar to your My feed, but filters the communications to those with coaches.
- Live events: From here, you can review your upcoming events and schedule sessions with coaches.
Browse and search the Catalog
At any time that you're not actively completing a catalog entry, the Catalog search bar is present in your toolbar. The Catalog lists all the courses and other catalog entry types that you can purchase in the site.
- On smaller screens, the toolbar is collapsed, and you can click on the search icon to open it.
- If the site has Categories set up, use the Category filter to limit results to a single Category.
- Enter keywords in the Search catalog field to see catalog entries about specific subjects.
- Click the arrow to see your search results. If you haven't specified a Category or entered a search term, clicking the arrow shows you the entire Catalog.
- In the Catalog, you can browse the available catalog entries and catalog categories.
- Review the specific types of activities, cost, and expected length of each entry.
- Click on a catalog entry to get more details, watch an introductory video, and enroll (where allowed).
This is what a catalog entry's preview page looks like. Watch the introductory video, review content and prerequisites, and purchase and enroll (where available)!
Using My feed to communicate in Dawn
The My feed feature in Dawn allows you to communicate with coaches and other learners in Dawn. To use it, simply click on the My feed icon (chat bubble) anywhere you see it.
When you open My feed, you see:
- An overview of your communications in Dawn (posts, submissions, peer and coach reviews, and interactions with coaches and other learners). Notice that you can edit, delete, and comment on your own posts as well as add/remove your Projects from public galleries. You are also able to comment on, use the applaud reaction, and give star reviews to others' public posts.
- A Viewing header which shows you how the content is filtered. In the image below, the learner has clicked My feed from the Learner dashboard, so they see communications from all of their enrollments. If you click it while in a catalog entry, the results are filtered to communications within that entry.
- A Jump to... header which, when clicked, allows you to filter the content shown in My feed to specific enrollments or groups.
- A space to create a New post. You can include images, videos, or files. Clicking Post as private message makes the post visible only to coaches and administrators.
Completing a catalog entry
When you enter a Dawn catalog entry, you see high-quality video and a video transcript that highlights the relevant text as the entry plays.
The best way to familiarize yourself with the Dawn Learning Experience is to jump in and take a catalog entry, but here's a quick rundown of your menus and tools:
- The Table of Contents is collapsed by default. You can open the TOC at any time to:
- Review your progress.
- Jump to another place in the entry.
- Review materials.
- Dawn gives you a quick tour the first time you use it, and you can always revisit that tour by clicking the Help button.
- Click Ask a coach to get help from expert coaches (where enabled).
- Your Feed is available from everywhere in the app. Collaboration, social engagement, and group knowledge building is a key component of the Dawn Learning Experience.
- Arrows along the the video progress bar indicate interactions. When the video reaches them, it pauses, so you can answer a question, make a comment, review supplemental material, and/or interact with peers, cohorts, and coaches.
- After you complete an interaction, click Continue to move forward.
Ask a coach and schedule sessions
If enabled, learners have a screen dedicated to managing all of their Coaching needs! At the top of the Table of contents right under the Performance information, learners can click Coaching to:
- Open their Coaching feed where they can post a question for experts and review the answers.
- Open the Events screen to schedule a coaching session and review info for sessions that are already scheduled.
The Group screen shows all group activity and upcoming live events. Open it by clicking Group in the table of contents or clicking the Group icon in the toolbar.
You can filter a catalog entry to show activity from a specific group only with the group filter in the toolbar, or the filters on the Group screen.
When you have a group selected, the Members tab appears, so you can see who else is a part of your different Groups. This give you opportunities to connect with other members of your learning community.
If anyone in the catalog entry's selected group has submitted a Project to the Gallery, a Gallery tab appears where those projects can be reviewed.
Completing projects and submitting to Galleries
Some catalog entries will ask you to complete a project as part of showing that you mastered a subject. To complete a project:
- Read the project's:
- Instructions to make sure you understand what is expected
- Review criteria to make sure you understand how success will be evaluated.
- Click Continue.
- Upload the project file and add any additional Comments to provide context.
- Self-report your Effort as the time you spent on the project.
- Indicate if you want to share your project to the Gallery for peers to see and review (in the Gallery or in their feed).
- Submit and Continue to see projects your peers have submitted to the Gallery.
Dawn uses mastery-based learning as a core part of the user experience!
Your progress is tracked in two ways:
- Mastery awards that you learn on completing key interactions and instructional items in a catalog entry.
- Effort, which measures actual time spent (watching videos and completing interactions) plus self-reported time spent completing projects against the amount of time authors anticipate learners need to spend to obtain mastery.
Mastery and Effort (Time spent in minutes) are tracked to reward and reinforce learning. You can see your overall progress for each enrollment on your Learner Dashboard.
In each catalog entry's Table of Contents, you can see your Mastery and Effort (Time spent) progress for each Lesson section in addition to your overall progress for the enrollment.