Learning objectives are statements that describe what a student should learn, know, or be able to do after completing a learning activity. Objectives can be defined by organizations, schools, course authors, etc. Most U.S. states define standard objectives in K-12 subjects, but not all states define the same sets of objectives.
You add objectives as part of an Objective Set, which is a collection of objectives that belong together. This helps organize your objectives, as you may need different sets for different purposes (e.g., you may want to include standard objectives from two different states).
Once set up, you can align activities and questions to objectives to track student mastery of the objectives.
To make objectives available in a course, you:
- Create an Objective Set.
- Add objectives to that Objective Set.
- Add that objective set to Domain Settings > Course Options.
To create an objective set in your domain:
- Open Objectives using the Main Menu.
- In Objective Sets, click Add. (To make changes to an existing objective set, click Edit on the far right, and to remove a set, check its box and click Delete.)
- Provide Name, Owner (optional), and External ID (optional) content.
- Check the Inherit box if you want these objectives to appear in child or subdomains.
To add objectives to an existing objective set:
- Click the Objective Set ID for the set you want to add to.
- On this screen:
- Click Import to choose a tab-delimited or comma-separated file of objectives to import.
- Click Add to create new objectives in Buzz.
If you clicked Add:
- Provide or generate a GUID for the objective if it is going to be used as a scored outcome.
- Provide the:
- ID: The category or type of skill the objective represents (e.g., communication, collaboration, critical thinking, etc.,).
- Title: Outlines the objective.
- Subject: The subject(s) to which the objective relates (e.g., English, Math, Art, etc.,).
- External ID: Any ID needed to align the objective with an external program or application.
- Grades: The grade(s) for which the objective is relevant.
- Parent: If the objective has a parent objective, its GUID is included here.
- Once you've created an objective, you can:
- Check its box and Delete it.
- Highlight and copy the GUID, so you can add it to a course.
- Click Edit to make changes.
- Keep in mind that all changes impact subdomains.
- If you need to align the same activity with objectives from two different objective sets, you can align them be creating an objective map.
- Once objectives are added to the domain, they can be imported into courses: How do I create and/or import objectives?