A round-up of all improvements and changes to the Buzz platform in version v3.0.308 available on October 6, 2022.
Note: Release note articles reflect the state of the product on the date they are originally published. Always note the date in the title when reviewing content and follow the links in the notes to articles that are kept current.
Coming soon to Buzz!
We announce significant upcoming features and changes in a standalone Coming soon article that appears at the top of the What's new section.
Announced this week: Prevent user from changing their own username, reference, or flags (coming 10/13/2022)
New Enrollment completion option
Course settings > Enrollment completion manages ways in which course completion can be triggered for individual enrollments. The automatic options are particularly useful for continuous enrollment courses because learners can move at their own pace.
We've added a new option under the Automatic when all activities in these categories are complete option, allowing teachers to choose to Zero unscored activities when enrollment automatically completes.
Update multiple activities for one student with Batch-update grading
Teachers can use Buzz's new Batch-update grades functionality to batch-update the Allow retry or Excused status for multiple activities for a single student in a traditional-scoring or Multi-outcome scoring course.
Improved UX for Assessment question editor
We have made various improvements to the assessment question editor for teachers and other content authors!
You can now easily preview each question in a simple popup window to check formatting and functionality.
And reorder questions quickly by dragging them to the desired position.
Enhanced SAML SSO support
We’ve enhanced SAML authentication into Buzz to support email address login when the Buzz username is used as the local-part (everything before the @) of the email address.
For example, if a SAML authentication request comes through and has a name ID format of an email address (i.e., `nameid-format:emailAddress`), then Buzz will:
- Look for the user with the full email address as a Buzz username (e.g., email@example.com). If the user is found, then the user is allowed to access Buzz.
- If Buzz is unable to find the user by the full email address, then Buzz will look to see if a user exists with the local-part (everything before the @) of the email address (e.g., john.student). If a user is found with the local-part, then the user is allowed to access Buzz.
- If no user is found by the full email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) nor the local-part (e.g., john.student), then Buzz will tell the user that no matching user can be found.
To take advantage of this feature with Google SSO authentication, you may need to update your Service provider details in the Google SAML app settings to use the “EMAIL” as the “Name ID”.
In this release, we:
- Updated the styles for the Quick-edit grading toolbar button to be highlighted when it's in use.
- Removed the limit on copying folders from the Digital library with more than 100 activities in them.
- Added character-class descriptions to the password-change warning message and to the Domain settings > Authentication-password policy form.
- Updated the Proxy user icon to always be displayed as a generic icon
In this release, we also:
- Resolved a question editor issue with showing the left side of a match for a Matching inline question.
- Fixed an issue where deactivated courses appeared in the list of available courses to copy in the Create course wizard.
- Fixed an issue in the Create course screen where courses that should have been excluded from course-copy operations were appearing in the list of courses available for copy.
- Fixed an issue where observers sometimes could not see the profile picture for someone whose enrollment they were observing.
- Added missing scrollbars to the Import scores screen
Updates in version 2022.10.5.898.
Additions, Removal, or Changes:
Course Data: A new
zerounscored. When enabled, autocompleting causes all unscored gradable items for the course to be given a score of 0.
New and updated articles
- How do I use the Student Grades screen? (new)
- How do I enter grades? (updated)
- How do I set up feedback for Assessment/Practice question activities? (updated)
- How do I manage Course Settings? (updated)
- How do I set up Matching questions? (updated)
- How do I create questions for assessment and practice questions activities? (updated)