[Beta] How do I filter Data streams to send specific Events and Properties?
Note: This is a beta feature; we welcome your feedback as you test it out. As a beta feature, this process and content is subject to change.
Related article: [Beta] How do I set up and manage Data streams?
A Data stream is a process to transmit Buzz system events (formatted as JSON objects) that can be used for data analysis, statistical tracking, or synchronization with another system.
In Buzz, Administrators can use different Stream types and configure multiple Data streams to allow data for various Events to be sent, near real-time, to one or more third-party services.
Because Data streams automatically send data that you will be storing, Buzz lets you filter the data by Events and Properties within those Events to avoid using storage for data you don't need.
This article outlines:
Filter your Data streams to send only the data you need
To filter your Data streams you specify Events and Properties within that event:
- Click Add filter to create a custom filter. You can create as many as you need.
- In Event type, select the overall Event that you want to collect date around.
- In Properties, manually enter the specific Properties you want to collect data for in a comma-separated list. Review the example below.
Events and Properties example
There are two types of Properties:
- (parent) Properties, which can stand alone in the field.
- (child) Properties, which are to be entered after a (parent) Property separated by a period.
The example below is set up to return data for two Event types with three Properties specified for each:
- Event type 1: Domain created
- domainId (parent)
- newDomain.name (child)
- newDomain.data (child)
- Event type 2: Course created
- courseID (parent)
- newCourse.title (child)
- newCourse.data (child)
The tables in Data Events and Properties list and define all of the options for filtering your Data streams.
Data Events and Properties
You can set up filters to return data for the Events listed below. You can further filter within each Event by defining the specific Properties you want sent. The links below take you to API documentation describing each event's properties.
- Domain Events:
- Course Events:
- User Events:
- Enrollment Events:
- Group Events: