A round-up of some upcoming changes to the Buzz platform.
Changing how updated password security works
Announced: April 1, 2021
Planned release: April 22, 2021
Planned change: When a user's password is changed, any current sessions where that user is authenticated using the previous password will become inactive, and the user will have to login again with the new password.
- If a user changes their own password and is using one browser, they will continue to be able to use Buzz without having to sign in again as long as it is the same browser session.
- If a user changes their own password and is using multiple browsers, they will continue to be able to use Buzz without having to sign in again with the same browser session. However, they will have to sign in with the new password in the other browser(s).
- If an admin changes a user's password while the user is using Buzz, the user will have to sign in again with the new password.
Reason for change: We are making this change to enhance security around the user's sessions.
Changing ‘Mail From:’
Announced: March 25, 2021
Planned release: April 29, 2021
Planned change: The Mail From: domain will be changed from amazonses.com to buzz-mail.agilix.com. When messages are sent from Buzz that there is a Mail From field and From field. Mail From will be changing; From will continue to be firstname.lastname@example.org.
This change impacts: Buzz users hosted by Agilix at subdomain.agilixbuzz.com or custom URL with an API address of api.agilixbuzz.com. The Mail From: appears in the email header and is not normally visible to the students or teachers.
Reason for change: For some school email systems, they only allow certain ‘Mail From:’ domains to message their students and teachers. Previously, they couldn’t allow emails from the amazonses.com domain as that is also used by thousands of other websites. Having a ‘Mail From:’ domain that is owned by Agilix will allow these schools to allow a domain that is specifically used for Buzz communication.
Next steps: If your email system restricts the domains that are allowed to message your students and teachers using the Mail From: field, you should include both amazonses.com and buzz-mail.agilix.com as authorized senders. After we make the change on April 29, you can remove amazonses.com domain from your security rules.
Blocking messages to unverified accounts
Announced: February 23, 2021 (originally posted only to authorized support contacts) and February 25, 2021
Updated: March 25, 2021
Planned release: TBD
Planned change: With sufficient notice, Buzz will begin blocking messages for unverified emails and phone numbers.
Current status: Users can now verify their email addresses and phone numbers in the User menu > Settings controls. Where possible, system administrators should encourage users to verify their information. A banner appears above the Buzz toolbar prompting users to verify their information. They can click Settings there to jump to user settings, or open their User menu and select Settings.
The banner can be enabled/disabled by Agilix Support. If your users do not currently see the banner and you would like them to, please reach out to Agilix Support to enable the banner message.
Messaging updates in Buzz: New and updated Domain feature switches
In this release, we made the following updates to Domain feature switches:
- Added Enable user notifications. When disabled, the Notification preferences card is hidden in User settings and no notifications are sent to users (including the banner asking users to verify email addresses and phone numbers).
- Updated the Enable email switch, so that, when disabled, Buzz no longer allows users to receive messages sent by another user from Buzz.
Increased security for Buzz
Starting on February 18, 2021 (previously January 14), the Buzz LMS discontinued support of being embedded within another website (specifically, websites that loaded Buzz in an iframe). This change will improve the security of Buzz and prevent some malicious attempts to hijack a users account.
New "Congratulations!" prompts for continuous courses
This is intended to help students recognize when they are caught up on a course, so they can assess their best next steps.