How do I create and edit video transcripts and add interactions?
Dawn is a video-centric learning tool, so, as you add videos, it's important that you make sure accurate video transcripts are available for your learners.
When you upload videos, you have the option of:
- Automatically generating a transcript.
- Uploading a transcript file.
- Manually building a transcript and adding interactions using the editing tools.
You will always want to review a transcript to correct any errors or timing issues. You can also add interactions and story scenes if you want.
Upload a transcript
To attach an uploaded transcript to a video:
- Upload the .vtt file to the Resource library.
- Add or open the video in the editor.
- Open the More menu in the Transcript and select Choose transcript file.
- Select the .vtt file you uploaded and click Set transcript.
- Review and edit the transcript as desired.
Create and edit transcripts and add interactions
To create and edit video transcripts:
- Select or upload the desired video.
- Scroll to the Video card.
- Under Transcript, each subtitle is attached to its own start and end timestamps (in minutes:seconds:frames) within the video. These timestamps indicate when the subtitle appears for the video, and when it disappears (each has to last at least .5 seconds).
- Watch the video to see how these subtitles align, and make changes to the timestamps where necessary.
- Before and after each subtitle, an Add button appears as a plus sign. There is also an Add button below the video preview which uses the scrubber placement. Click one of these to add:
- Additional Text (subtitles) where needed.
- Any of the following Interactions, which pause the video so learners can complete them:
- Multiple Choice questions
- Short answer questions
- Multiple response questions
- Discussions with peers and Coaches (where enabled)
- Notes, which are text for the learner to read
- Flash cards
- Sorting activities
- Labelled graphics
- Add and edit any video Overlays (available only when using the button under the video preview or in the Overlays tab next to Transcript)
Note: Click the more menu next to Interactions to move them up or down in the transcript or to duplicate them.
Editing to transcripts
You can always return and edit transcripts later. When you make changes to a transcript, the Save button in the authoring toolbar is enabled. Simply click it to save.
Providing translated transcripts
You can also translate your transcripts into other languages, allowing your learners to choose the language of their choice.