Short answer questions allow you to ask learners to give free-response answers that can be automatically checked by Dawn.
Learners receive custom feedback based on their entry, and are allowed to Reset and retry the question to reinforce learning.
Create the the short answer question
To create a short answer question:
- Select the desired Section in the catalog entry and click Add instruction.
- Select Interaction and choose Short answer.
- Give the interaction a Title.
- Provide Expected duration value.
- Provide the Question you want learners to answer.
- In the Response input dropdown choose Text to allow all text as possible answer entries or Number to allow only number entries.
- Define the correct response, the incorrect response, and any other responses.
Once your question is set up, you can set up the correct response you want learners to enter:
- In the If the answer is field, enter all possible responses that you want counted as "correct."
- Provide the Mastery award value that you want learners to earn if they get the answer correct.
- Dawn allows learners to reset short answer questions after answering and try again to reinforce learning.
- Provide the Feedback you want learners to receive when the get the answer correct.
- Define the incorrect response and any other responses.
By default, Dawn includes an incorrect response field for short answer questions. This is defined where Else appears instead of If the answer is.
- Else indicates what occurs for any answer that is not defined otherwise; this is what learners see when they get the answer incorrect.
- You can still provide a Mastery award value for incorrect responses if desired.
- Provide the Feedback you want learners to receive when the get the answer incorrect.
- Define any other responses.
Dawn allows you to add other responses if your question requires more than just correct and incorrect response options (e.g., answers that are close, but not close enough to warrant full Mastery awards).
- Click Add response.
- A field reading Else if answer is appears above the incorrect response section. In this field, enter all possible responses that you want counted here.
- Provide the Mastery award value that you want learners to earn if they provide this answer.
- Provide the Feedback you want learners to receive when the get this answer.
Review short question results
Dawn automatically roles up short answer responses and merges them to generate a donut chart showing all entered responses and the percentage with they were entered.
You can access them in the Administration > Catalog > Enrollments screen.