A round-up of all improvements and changes to the Buzz platform in versions v3.0.207 available on December 17, 2020.
Support for LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage!
Buzz allows admins to integrate entire domains with LTI tools, so that teachers and other course authors can link to LTI activities.
Buzz has actively supported IMS Global's LTI specification since it was created in 2010. Buzz is an IMS-certified LTI 1.1 learning platform, which allows you to access other LTI-certified tools from within Buzz.
In 2019, IMS announced that its LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage specifications, which provide additional functionality and security, would replace the soon-to-be deprecated LTI 1.1 specification. Buzz continues to support LTI 1.1, and is also now an IMS-certified platform for LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage.
We are not currently imposing a deadline by which you must migrate from LTI 1.1 to 1.3. However, if a tool provider supports LTI 1.3, we highly recommend that you migrate as soon as possible as LTI 1.1 will eventually be phased out.
Best practices for migrating from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
After Dec 2020, IMS will not certify LTI 1.1 products. Buzz's LTI 1.1 certification expires in Dec 2021, and Buzz will drop support for LTI 1.1 at some point after that.
- You can migrate a tool only if the tool provider supports LTI 1.3. Check with the provider to verify support before migrating a tool.
- You do not have to migrate all tools at once; you can upgrade tools that support 1.3 in any order you please.
- For domain-configured tools, practice migration in a sandbox to avoid disruption of service. For these and other instructions: How do I migrate from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3?
In this release, we also added min- and max-date validations to the student's Create Task screen.
Updates in version 2020.12.17.5312.
- General system improvements.
New and updated articles
- How do I migrate from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3? (new)
- How do I integrate my domain with LTI 1.1 and 1.3 tools (like Turnitin) with Buzz? (updated)