The authoring tool includes two menus:
Along the left side of Dawn's Settings tool is the menu of components that can be edited. The right panel displays cards where authors can edit and add content to build the entry.
Use the Settings menu to manage your course's metadata, look-and-feel, coaches, authors, etc.
- Settings, including title, cover image, and authors.
- Catalog details, like price, promotional messaging and videos, and descriptions.
- Coaches and coach scheduling.
- Mastery details, like required mastery rewards and certificate.
- Resource library, including instructional videos and supplemental content.
- Learner materials that are included.
- Newsletter, where you can create and schedule newsletters for your users.
- Title your course.
- Select a Cover poster that represents your course in the Catalog and elsewhere.
- Choose which page you want to always open first from the Launch page for learners dropdown, including:
- Choose when you want learners to be prompted to review the catalog entry:
- At the end of the content
- Throughout the content (three times, including at the end)
- Check the This is a template box to allow this course to be copied and used as a starting point when creating new courses.
- Add/remove Authors.
Upload the Cover poster files using Resource library.
- You can review and copy the link to your course in the Catalog page. You can share this link with users, so they can learn about it and enroll.
- If Publishers are enabled in your site, the Publisher is listed and can be changed.
- Choose Payment option (One time fee or Monthly subscription).
- Enter pricing details (Price, Full price, and Promotional message).
- Check Feature at the top of the catalog if you want Dawn to place the course at the top of the Catalog screen and to take priority in searches.
- Check the Enable self-enrollment box to allow learners to enroll in the catalog entry from their Catalog screen. Disabling this means that learners can only be enrolled by administrators; doing this can be useful if you want a course to appear in the catalog, but not allow enrollment, yet.
- Check the Enable self-enrolling in a time-based cohort box if the catalog entry has Time-based cohorts set up (meaning that members of this group can access content only after a specified date and time) and you want to allow learners to choose their cohort.
- Select the Cover video learners will see in on the course preview screen.
- Provide your course Description. Depending on the template you use, there may already be content here.
Upload the Cover video files using Resource library.
- Add and remove course Coaches by checking/unchecking boxes next to them (give users coach permissions with the administrator view).
- Enable 1-to-1 and 1-to-many coach scheduling.
- Indicate the percentage of Mastery award points learners need to earn for course completion.
- Course completion progress is shown to learners as a percentage with 100% indicating full completion. If you choose 85% as the required number of Mastery award points need to complete the course, learners will see 100% course completion once they've earned 85% of the possible Mastery award.
- Uncheck the Issue a certificate at course completion box if you don't want to issue certificates. If you do want to issue a certificate, follow these instructions.
In the Resource library panel you can review all resource files attached to the course and:
Generating video transcripts
When uploading a video, you can automatically generate a transcript.
If you are uploading a new video or are replacing a video that has no transcript, you can choose whether you want to Transcribe or not. If you don't transcribe the video, you will have to upload your own transcript later or build one, manually. All transcripts should be reviewed and edited.
If you re-uploading a video resource that already exists, the Video audio language dialog now detects that the resource already exists (using the filename) and:
- Shows (overwrite) next to the file name to let you know you are replacing a resource.
- Shows the option to Re-transcribe the video to generate a new transcript where a transcript already exists. If you uncheck this option, the existing transcript is left alone.
In Materials panel, you can add materials as Attachments or Websites to each. To add Learning materials, click Add attachment or Add website, at the bottom of the screen.
Then choose the Instruction you want to attach it to.