A round-up of all improvements and changes to the Buzz platform in versions v3.0.185 available on August 6, 2020.
Disabling support for TLS 1.1 in Buzz
As previously announced, next week (August 13), we will disable support for TLS 1.1 across the Buzz platform, including the Buzz API.
With this change, customers who have written their own integration (e.g., rostering, reporting tools) and are using clients that do not support TLS 1.2 and above will no longer be able to successfully connect to the Buzz API.
New Activity player and Editor become standard
New Activity player
As announced a year ago, the old Activity Player is being retired today. The new Activity Player has been used by more than half of all Buzz teachers and students over the last year and these users have provided positive feedback and suggestions. We've made over a dozen enhancements to better help students be immersed in their learning and assessment.
Some highlights of the new Activity Player include:
- Fullscreen learning experience, reducing distractions, and increasing student engagement
- The ability to search for an activity across all visible curriculum
- Autosaving for assessments and dropbox activities to avoid loss of work
- Greater visibility of badges, mastery, and performance
- Teachers and authors
Course authors can further improve their students learning journey by using links for activities that may not be presented linearly in their course work.
In this release, we:
- Added a new Manage subscriptions permission to the Domain Permissions screen.
- The admin app now trims leading and trailing white-space characters from External ID fields of all entities (such as domains, courses, users, objectives, and enrollments) when you edit them.
- Darkened the red color for below-passing scores, overdue assignments, and other alert text.
- Enabled the Personal note-taking feature by default for all domains.
- Enabled the Student blackout dates feature by default for all domains.
- In the Activity Player > Submission card, we added a You've been excused from this activity message next to the Submit button when the student has been excused. In that card we also added score-status text such as Excused or Submitted next to the score.
- In the Activity Player > Submission card, we change the button label from Submit my work to Resubmit my work when the student has already submitted at least once.
- Added Jump to shortcuts to Activity player toolbar for Publish Anywhere. These shortcuts existed in Buzz already, and take the user directly to specific sections of an activity (e.g., Submission, Objectives, Course links).
- Improved keyboard accessibility for teacher Home > Course list view.
- Made the following updates to the SIS Sync feature:
- Fixed an issue in Edit SIS Sync Settings where the role pickers did not reflect role changes made in the current session without manual refresh.
- Improved the sync to continue operating even if an error was preventing a user from being created.
- Improved the sync status details to more accurately reflect how much has been completed.
- Improved general sync performance.
- Fixed an issue where the Enable browse button in the Activity Player was not enabling browse mode for SCO activities.
- Improved Clipboard > Quick list name styling to account for long list names.
- Improved toolbar usability for Send mail > Message editor.
- Fixed a missing-scrollbars issue in the Resource Library Welcome Page and the Welcome Page editor.
- Fixed an issue in the Activity Player where the Remove activity button for choice activities was erroneously visible to parents and observers.
- Fixed an issue in blog and journal activities where the New post button was erroneously visible to parents and observers.
- Fixed an issue where observers could not navigate to announcement details from a student's activity stream
- Improved activity layout for Digital library preview.
- Fixed an issue where Course icons would overlap if the course nickname was too long.
- Resolved an issue with editing teacher feedback templates for Publish Anywhere.
- Improved the speed of activity grades being sent from Publish Anywhere to the host LMS.
Updates in version 2020.08.06.4720.
- General system improvements.
GetEntityWork2: Fixed an issue where deleted activities could be returned.
New and updated articles
- Articles associated with the new Activity player and the new Editor have been updated. Contact us for a complete list.