To create a new course with Dawn:
- Open the Courses screen.
- Click Create course.
- Course Title.
- The Publisher name.
- The Template you want to use (as an author, you can make your courses into templates to use when creating new courses).
- Click Create.
The left side of Dawn's authoring tool is a menu of components that can be edited. The right panel displays cards where authors can edit and add content to build the course.
The components on the left include:
1. Set up Course details with the Course > General tab
To make edits to course details, select Course on the left and the General tab, then scroll through the cards that appear on the right.
On the General tab's Info card :
- Title your course.
- Provide your course Description. Depending on the template you use, there may already be content here. Click Help to learn how to create styles. Use the Preview toggle to see how your description will appear to learners.
- Make the course a Learning path, which means it can be part of a collection of courses that all impact overall mastery of a concept.
- Make the course a template, which allows you to use a copy of it as a starting point when creating new courses.
On the Cover card, design a course preview for learners by:
- Selecting the Cover poster learners will see in the course Catalog.
- Selecting the Cover video learners will see in on the course preview screen.
Upload the Cover poster and Cover video files using Course resources.
On the Catalog card:
- If Publishers are enabled in your site, the Publisher is listed and can be changed.
- Add or make changes to the course Authors.
- Enter the Price, which is the actual price the purchaser pays for the course (you collect enrollment payments through your Stripe account).
- Enter a Full price (optional), which is the full price that is shown when the course is using a sale price.
- Create a Promotional message, which shows when the course is using a sale price. If an alternative sales tool needs to be set up for your course, you can use this line to direct customers to that tool (e.g., Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase this course for your entire school district.).
- Copy your Catalog page URL and share it with anyone you want to show the course to.
Add Supplemental material for the course as Attachments or Websites.
2. Add and remove Course > Coaches
Select the Course > Coaches tab to add and remove Coaches for the course.
3. Set up Course > Mastery conditions
Learners can earn certification of Mastery in your course.
On the Mastery card:
- Indicate the percentage of Mastery award points learners need to earn for course completion.
- Course completion progress is shown to learners as a percentage with 100% indicating full completion. If you choose 85% as the required number of Mastery award points need to complete the course, learners will see 100% course completion once they've earned 85% of the possible Mastery award.
- Uncheck the Issue a certificate at course completion box if you don't want to issue certificates.
If you do want to issue a certificate:
- Provide a Certificate image (8.5 x 11) that is used as the background. Dawn's template course provides a default image for this.
- Click Help to learn how to use dynamic variables to complete the Dynamic fields.
- Click each of the options in the Dynamic fields section (Name, Course, Day, and Year) to customize the content, placement (xy axis), size, and style of this text.
- Click the plus sign to add dynamic fields.
- You can see a preview generated below.
4. Create and organize course Sections
On the Sections card, you can move, delete, and add sections to the course.
Add Instructional content to Sections
For every section you add to the course, a selectable Sections entry appears here in the side panel.
Click them to:
When adding Video instruction in Dawn:
- Edit the Title and Mastery award fields.
- Select the video you want to use in the Video dropdown (upload videos first using Course files).
- Edit the pre-generated transcript or build and time your own.
- You can type and time subtitles using the Add new subtitle and press Enter field. Click the Help button to review keyboard shortcuts.
- Review the generated transcript, and click on it to edit and fix errors.
- Click Choose resource to upload a transcript file (usually a .vtt file) created elsewhere (upload it using Course files).
- Click the globe icon to translate the transcript.
- Click Add interaction to create and place a marker where you want the video to pause and ask a question. Click the timestamp to edit.
When creating an Interaction in Dawn:
- Provide a Title for the interaction.
- Provide the Expected duration for the Interaction to inform Effort data.
- Click Add interaction, choose the type:
- Multiple Choice questions
- Discussions with peers and Coaches (where enabled)
- Notes on the instruction
When creating a Project in Dawn:
- Provide a Title.
- Enter the Master award and Expected duration values.
- For courses with coaches, indicate whether you want to Require coach review to receive master award.
- Provide Project instructions. Click Help to learn how to create styles. Use the Preview toggle to see how your description will appear to learners.
- Scroll to the Review criteria card and create criteria to guide project creation and reviews.
5. Materials panel
In the Materials panel, each section and instruction appears as a card. You can add materials as Attachments or Web sites to each.
6. Course files panel
Within the Course files panel you can review all resource files attached to the course and:
- Upload new files. When uploading videos, you are prompted to choose the transcript language.
- Search the Course files.
- Sort the results using Name, Size, or last Modified date.
- Delete existing files.