Easily create Turnitin activities right in Buzz.
Note: Buzz has actively supported IMS Global's LTI specification since it was created in 2010. Buzz is an IMS-certified LTI 1.1 learning platform, which allows you to access other LTI-certified tools from within Buzz.
In 2019, IMS announced that its LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage specifications, which provide additional functionality and security, would replace the soon-to-be deprecated LTI 1.1 specification. Buzz continues to support LTI 1.1, and Buzz is also now an IMS-certified platform for LTI 1.3 and LTI Advantage.
This article covers how to create a Turnitin activity using LTI 1.1; to learn how to create a Turnitin activity using LTI 1.3, click here.
Add the activity
If your organization is integrated with Turnitin, you can easily sync activities using the Editor tool.
- Add an activity to the desired folder and choose the Custom Activity type.
- In the Custom Activity editor, select Website under the Content section of the Activity tab.
- In the field below, provide the URL that matches your location:
- Check the Digitally sign the request for LTI box and enter the Key and Secret in the appropriate fields, or paste the Configuration XML information into its field and click Parse XML to automatically populate the Key and Secret fields.
- If your LTI is configured at the Domain, you don't have to complete these fields.
- Click Save when you finish making other edits to your activity.
Configure the activity
Once you've created the assignment, click the Activities tool and open it. Buzz opens the Turnitin dashboard where you can configure your assignment using these instructions.
- How do I create activities with Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI 1.1 and 1.3)?
- How do I add activities to my course?
- Some LTIs, like Turnitin, don't trigger a notification when a student submits an assignment. To make sure you know when your students have submitted a Turnitin activity, create a companion activity in Buzz that asks students to Mark this activity complete once they've submitted the Turnitin activity.