Learning objectives are statements that describe what a student should learn, know, or be able to do after completing a learning activity. Objectives can be defined by organizations, schools, course authors, etc. Most U.S. states define standard objectives in K-12 subjects, but not all states define the same sets of objectives.
You add objectives as part of an Objective Set, which is a collection of objectives that belong together. This helps organize your objectives, as you may need different sets for different purposes (e.g., you may want to include standard objectives from two different states).
Once set up, you can align activities and questions to objectives to track student mastery of the objectives.
To make objectives available in a course, you:
- Create an Objective Set.
- Add objectives to that Objective Set.
- Add that objective set to Domain Settings > Course Options.
1) Create an objective set
To create an objective set in your domain:
- Open Objectives using the Main Menu.
- In Objective Sets, click New. From this screen, you can also edit and delete objective sets.
- Provide Name, External ID (optional), and Owner (optional) content.
- Check the Inherit box if you want these objectives to appear in child or subdomains.
Edit and delet objective sets
- Click the Set ID for an objective set to edit it.
- Check the box next a Set ID, open the vertical menu in the toolbar, and click Delete to remove an objective set.
2) Add objectives to an objective set
To add objectives to an existing objective set:
- Click the Objective Set ID for the set you want to add to.
- Select List from the tabs bar.
- On this screen:
- Click the New [plus sign] button in the toolbar to create new objectives in Buzz (this path is followed below).
- Click Import in the vertical menu in the toolbar to choose a tab-delimited or comma-separated file of objectives to import.
- Provide or generate a GUID for the objective if it is going to be used as a scored outcome.
- Provide the:
- ID: The category or type of skill the objective represents (e.g., communication, collaboration, critical thinking, etc.,).
- Title: Outlines the objective.
- Subject: The subject(s) to which the objective relates (e.g., English, Math, Art, etc.,).
- External ID: Any ID needed to align the objective with an external program or application.
- Parent: If the objective has a parent objective, its GUID is included here.
- Grades: The grade(s) for which the objective is relevant.
Edit and delete objectives
Once you've created an objective, you can:
- Check its box and Delete it using the vertical menu in the toolbar.
- Highlight and copy the GUID, so you can add it to a course.
- Click Edit to make changes.
3) Add the objective set to Course Options
An objective set needs to be added to course options in order to be accessed by course authors. To do so:
- Keep in mind that all changes impact subdomains.
- If you need to align the same activity with objectives from two different objective sets, you can align them be creating an objective map.
- Once objectives are added to the domain, they can be imported into courses: How do I create and/or import objectives?