Buzz makes it easy to weight activities individually or by category.
What are grading weight values?
Weight values allow you to define how much impact an activity and/or a category of activities have on the final grade by giving some more weight than others in the calculation.
This article covers how to define Weight values in Buzz for:
Course settings > Weighted categories (optional)
The category weight values can be set in Course settings > Grading categories. They define how much impact the activity grades in a category have on the final grade, relative to the activities in other categories in the same course. Activity scores within a category contribute to the category score, which is factored by the category weight when computing the overall course score. The more activities you have in a category, the less weight each carries, individually, in the final calculation.
Activity editor > Weight in category (required)
You can review and edit these values on the Editor > Weights screen. Learn more.
Weight in category is not available in courses using Multi-Outcome Scoring.
Bulk edit Weight in category
Buzz allows you to make various types of changes to multiple activities at once using the Editor > Activity list > Bulk edit tool.
Configure grading weight values
Buzz determines relativity by comparing each assigned weight value, so to fully understand the significance of the an individual activity’s weight, you need to know the values assigned to the other activities. To easily review and edit all activity weight values:
- Navigate to the Editor using the Main Menu, and select the Weights tab.
- This page lists all gradable activities within their assigned categories. Use the categories dropdown to limit the activities displayed by category. Check the Show empty box to include categories with no gradable activities.
- From here you can:
- Edit weight values in the Weight column.
- Review the percentages each weighted value creates.
- Move activities between categories by dragging them to the desired category.
- Edit, Preview, or Delete activities using the menu at the far right of each.
If you want to weight activities only against the other activities in the same category, and then weigh the categories against each other:
- Open Course Settings in the Editor toolbar.
- Check the Use weighted categories box in the Grading Categories card.
With this box unchecked, all activities are weighed against each other regardless of category.
- How do I override grading weights?
- How do I ensure gradable personalized activities impact student grades fairly?
- How do I set up Buzz to drop lowest scores in a Grading category?
- How do I create grading schemes?
- How do I create Grading Categories?
- Competency-based learning with Agilix Buzz
- The green percentages in the Syllabus page represent scores that include extra credit.
- It’s important to understand how scores are weighted when assigning gradable personalized activities, so you understand how they will affect final grades.
- You can review all grading weight values for personalized activities using the For Me page in the Performance tool.