Use Folders to organize your course content into units, chapters, sections, etc.
Add a folder
To add a Folder:
- Open the Editor from the Main Menu.
- Select the location you want to add the folder to and click the Add activity button.
- Select Folder.
- Complete the sections outlined below.
Use the Activity tab to:
- Provide the Title.
- Provide a Thumbnail image to represent the activity by clicking the plus sign next to the thumbnail.
- Recommended file type: PNG or JPG (Buzz converts all files into PNGs.)
- Ideal size: 400px x 400px (Buzz automatically resizes images, so uploading images smaller than 400px x 400px may reduce quality.)
- Create Landing page content for the folder using the rich text editor. Students see this content when they open the folder.
With Folder settings, you can:
- Select the correct Grading Period for the folder if your domain has them set up.
Enable Student Choice for this folder and specify:
- The Number of required choice activities.
- Whether you want to Allow extra choices.
- Whether you want to Allow choices from any folder in the course.
- Whether you want to Allow choices from Digital Library.
- Indicate whether the Folder is a project which allows you to provide the Project start and Project end dates.
Click Choose Objective to align the folder with one or more objectives.
Visibility and access
With Visibility and access settings, you can choose to:
- Make the folder Visible to:
- Students, teachers and observers: This is the default setting for folders intended for students to complete.
- Teachers and observers: This setting works well for Lesson Guide materials that observers like parents, mentors, etc. need access to. A map icon appears next to these folders in the Activities pages for teachers and observers.
- Teachers only: This setting works well for Lesson Guide materials that only teachers need. A map icon appears next to these folders in the teacher Activities page.
- Check the Hide from student's table of contents and to-do list box. Note that it is still accessible with course links and bookmarks unless otherwise restricted.
- Check the Block access until student completes other activity box, click Choose Activity, and select the activity or activities that you want to make access dependent on.
- Check the Block access until student masters objective(s) box, click Choose Objective, and select the objective(s) you want to make access dependent on.
- Check the Block access until a specified date box and enter the desired date and time.
- Check the Student must enter a password box and enter the desired Password. Students must enter this password only once to access the folder.
Click Choose Badge to select one or more badges that you want automatically awarded to students who successfully complete this folder.
Admins can create custom Metadata fields for folders in their domain. This content is only visible to teachers, course authors, etc. and provides further insight into an folder, such as:
- An folder Description for course authors.
- An idea of how this folder fits into the goal of the course or the Big Picture.
- Essential Questions that should be answered by the folder or that students should keep in mind as they complete it.
- Any relevant Vocabulary.
- Associated Resources.
Some of the fields under Metadata ask for content that, if set up by your system admin, can be used to make an activity searchable in the Digital Library. Contact your system admin to find out if there are fields in your domain that can be used this way.
Advanced activity options
Manage Advanced activity options, like:
- Changing the folder's Location using the dropdown.
- Giving the folder a new Activity ID in the field.
The History tab records changes made to the folder and allows you to retrieve previous versions:
- Click the version you want to restore.
- Preview the content.
- Click Restore.
Buzz does not itemize changes to all settings, but does track them. Users can access them by clicking the Details link that appears at the bottom of the history table.