A round-up of all improvements and changes to the Buzz platform in version 2.0.89, available on February 9, 2017.
Grade screens now include Pending Grades
This week, we have introduced some improvements to the teacher experience in Buzz.
In order to give teachers greater insight into where students' grades are, we now surface Pending Scores as well as Current Scores on screens that display student grades. Pending Scores represent activities that have been graded, but the score has not been returned to the student. They include:
- Scores that have been saved and not submitted.
- Scores that have been submitted, but the activity’s specified release date for the score has not passed.
Pending Scores are visible only to teachers, and they appear only when one of two conditions above are met. They are displayed in brackets next to the Current Scores, as seen in these screenshots.
This is how they appear on the Performance > Gradebook screen:
This is how they appear on the Performance > Student > Grades screen in a Multi-Outcome Scoring course:
This is how they appear on the People screen:
Improved UI for Student Grades screens
We made some upgrades to the Student Grades screens UI, impacting the Teacher, Student, and Observer apps. These updates include:
- Cleaning up the student grade summary and adding completion progress bars.
Excuse students from individual scoring outcomes
In a Multi-Outcome Scoring courses, we gave teachers the ability to selectively excuse students from individual scoring outcomes in an activity by entering an X in the score box for that outcome. Doing this excludes that outcome from impacting the activity's grade.
This option exists when grading an individual student (seen above), or when using the Batch Update tool in the Activity Grader:
In the release, we also:
- Gave admins the option to edit an enrollment's External ID, which is any ID needed to align the enrollment with an external program or application.
- Made many updates to the Teacher and Admin apps to improve accessibility for users with a visual impairment. While many of the updates were under-the-hood, users may notice improved keyboard navigation throughout multiple tools and slight style changes to selected and focused buttons and menu options.
In this release, we:
- Fixed an issue where, in Grade mode, the Activity Grader incorrectly showed score boxes for already-excused activities. It now shows the X to indicate excused activities rather than the score box.
- Revised objective indicator colors so that they stand out distinctly from theme colors chosen by the user.
- Fixed a problem in the Activity Editor where adding a rubric to a points-entry activity retained the previous max-points setting and showed it as the points possible in grading screens, including Grade Editor, for un-graded students. This fix applies to activities created moving forward; to update previously created activities:
- Open the Activity Editor > Gradebook tab.
- Open the rubric.
- Save the rubric.
- Save the activity.
- Updated the Editor to clear the LTI setting when changing Custom Activity from a website option to a course resource or Google Document option.
- Fixed an issue where the text entered in question metadata to act as that question's Placeholder Text would not appear in the correct field in the question editor.
- [Edge] Fixed an issue that kept badge requirements from appearing when you select a badge in the Badges screen.
- Fixed an issue that kept the Performance > Activity Grader toolbar from appearing after selecting a student and then clicking the < Activity Grader button.
- Fixed an issue caused the Activity Grader to continually display a Are you sure you want to leave? prompt after the user has already navigated away from the Grade mode.
- Updated the way the Performance tool displays grades for activities set to Treat unscored as zero, so that the zero remains after submission until the teacher submits a grade.
- Fixed an issue that required students to refresh the All Courses Performance screen in order to see the toolbar options.
- Improved video recording quality.